Sunday, August 16, 2009

Marathon Mania

This was probably be my last MM. Like the last time, preparation was almost the same - not up to the mark. I should have gone for 35ks practice session a couple of more times and must have around 80-85k per week in the peak training periods and not just 65-70k. However, unlike the last time, I had a better race strategy and worse pair of shoes. Did not miss even a single drink station this time. Right from the beginning, gulped a glass of Getorade and 1 water. Did take some cadbury snakes this time with me. About 16 k and I could feel the thumps straight on my left foot not to mention the hurting ankle. I had the tapes in my two little fingers of my left toe to prevent them from friction and blistering that I generally encountered in my long training runs. Got Gu gel at around 17k that boosted me immediately.
At around 19k got hold of someone running at my pace and had a good chat with her for another 3k and then lost contact. At around 22-23 got 2 snakes out of my pocket and chewed them and got another boost. Drink stations helped me going easily until 30. Then applied the remaining snakes and thought this time I am gonna beat 4 hrs mark. It was St Kilda road (back) and I was quite surprised by my "strong" speed, while I was thinking how come this can end so quickly. No, it wouldn't as we took a turn towards the Kings way and up the hill towards the botanical garden - The most painful moment. I took notice of the ks left - and it was 6 MORE TO GO!! To hell with this.. and I started walking - my toe fingers were already giving me excruciating pain. When 5 left - started jogging again (after passing a drink station) and thought its just about 25 minutes of slow jog and I will be home. But, the last 5k of marathon is equivalent to first 15. During the last 2k, I had to literally drag myself to finish. After 40 I had to stop again and walk for around 5-600 meters continuously. At last could beat the last time only by 15 minutes. - 4:16:xx :( not good enough.
http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event_entry.py?event=Sports/2009/Melbourne%20Marathon;match=3352

2 comments:

Rahul said...

Sanjay: this is the URL -
http://www.everydayhero.com.au/rahul

Rahul said...

Hey Sanjay:
If you can do that plsss sponsor me and/or try and spread this.
http://www.everydayhero.com.au/rahul

You may give any further tips for this.

Welcome to my blogs

The contents here are my independent point of view. They reflect my thoughts, experience in my professional and social life.

Search This Blog